Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sorry for the huge delay in posting...

We got home on Thursday around midnight. He's been doing very well! We didn't have Internet overseas, so I couldn't update, and I've been too tired and busy since then. Adjusting to two kids is interesting! Especially when they have different sleep schedules! I'm working on changing Charlie's schedule to be more in line with Brennan's, to a schedule that does NOT involve waking up at 6AM! I will never get used to waking up at 6AM. Let's just not even try. This morning he slept in to close to 7, so there's hope!

Charlie is adjusting well to family life. He knows I'm his mama, and he gets so excited and puts his arms up when he sees me! He seems to like his brother and laughs at him, but he's indifferent most of the time. He's used to all sorts of little kids running around and he doesn't have a real connection with Brennan yet. Brennan, however, is doing amazing with having a brother! He's very sweet and gentle, and brings Charlie toys. He doesn't seem to be jealous or upset, although he does "claim" us sometimes by running over and hugging us or laying his head in our lap. It's so crazy to see them together. Brennan is 1.5 and Charlie is 3.5, but Brennan is HUGE compared to Charlie. They are the same length (31 inches) but B is almost 26 lbs and C is only 16 lbs. He is very tiny. Brennan has a little pot belly and thunder thighs, and Charlie has noodle legs and you can count his ribs. People are shocked when they find out the age difference.

Charlie has already been to the pediatrician, and he has a cardiology appointment tomorrow morning. I am actually looking forward to the cardio appt, because hopefully a lot of questions will be answered. He'll have an echo done, and we should find out exactly what is going on with his heart and what we will do about it. We were told he was an ASD and a high degree of pulmonary hypertension. Which may be true, but medical records from this country are not known to be reliable. Also, he may have a second defect - it was mentioned by one person, but it's not in his records, which really doesn't mean much. But hopefully, after tomorrow, I'll be able to say something besides "I don't know" when people ask questions about his heart! People are already asking me when he'll have surgery, and he's only been home for three days! I hope to learn a lot tomorrow.
Next up I need to make appointments for ENT, the Adoption Clinic, the opthamologist, and the nutritionist. I strongly suspect Charlie needs his tonsils and adenoids out, and that he has sleep apnea (likely due to his tonsils). Then we need to initiate services through the school district. The poor kid - we've got a lot to get through in the next few months! Luckily, his teeth are in great shape, so I'm holding off on the dentist for just a little bit. Charlie can be a little orally defensive, and it's just not something we need to push at the moment! We've got a lot of work ahead of us. I'm just so glad he's HERE!

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how happy I am that he is home. What a precious angel! Can't wait to hear about the cardio appointment. I need pics of your two littles together!

    ReplyDelete